About our Flag
After only one year, in 1950, the proud group was able to purchase its flag due to the financial support of Albert Walschburger. Benno Hoerl went to Germany to bring the flag back to Reading. On May 5, 1951, G.T.V. Edelweiss held its Fahnenweihe at the Rajah Temple on North Sixth Street in Reading, Pennsylvania. The day was made a total success by the participation of ten visiting dance groups. G.T.V. Almrausch Philadelphia became our PatenVerein. Father Wachter blessed the flag; Mrs. William Findeisen was the Fahnenmutter; and Eleanore Findeisen and Rosmarie Holzapfel were the Fahnenjungfrauen.
In the late 1980's the flag was damaged from a water leak in the old Reading Liederkranz clubhouse. The flag was sent back to Fahnen Kossinger in Germany, the original manufacturer of the flag, for repairs. As G.T.V. Edelweiss approached its 50. Jubiläum in 1999 it was learned that the repairs had been extensive enough to warrant a new Fahnenweihe, rather than just a rededication of the flag as originally planned. So on September 4, 1999, as part of its 50. Jubiläum celebration, G.T.V. Edelweiss again held a Fahnenweihe. This time it was held at St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church on Fifth Avenue in Reading with Father Kuzman officiating. Our PatenVerein, G.T.V. Almrausch of Philadelphia, was there as was our Patenkind, Enzian Volkstanzgruppe of Newark, Delaware. Inge Weiss became our Fahnenmutter; Fahnenbände were also presented by our Kindergruppe and the associated clubs at the Reading Liederkranz. The 50. Jubiläum mit Fahnenweihe was attended by 600+ Trachtlers from Canada, Texas, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington DC, New York, Connecticut, and Germany.